After moving to Portland a few weeks ago, I have re-activated my love for creating... I have been blessed with an AMAZING apartment, and am nesting in every sense of the word. Favorite project so far? An oversized chalkboard for a blank wall in the kitchen.... here's a before and after glimpse:

The previous tenant had some sort of massive orange design on the wall, so the first step was to cover it. Check! (And for all of you wondering, that tall drink of water doing the painting is my amazing boyfriend Tom - he's the best!)
I had painted a large piece of particle board with chalkboard paint (if you don't have this already, you need it - its a really inexpensive way to do a lot of different projects!). Tom and I found some old wood that was shiplap siding, formerly the guts of a veterinary clinic that he was demolishing for a job. We picked out some of our favorite gnarly pieces for framing the chalkboard. Tom is the handiest of all handymen, and he cut the wood and made the frame for me---voila! check out the finished product:


-I love the wood. I specifically picked out the pieces that were the most unfinished - termite holes, rusty crooked nails, etc. - it gives the piece a really shabby unfinished look that I love.

The nails give it a cool depth, and you can use them to hang things on if you like as well.
That's all for now! Still adjusting to these pretty consistent gray skies, but learning to love them as well:)
No comments:
Post a Comment